We want to help you realize YOUR vision for the future of river conservation and communication.
American Whitewater and Freeflow Institute offer limited and competitive scholarships to at least two emerging outdoor communicator in 2019. Applicants may be university students or faculty, aspiring storytellers in any medium, or professional journalists or environmental communicators.
The winning applicant(s) will demonstrate capacity to research and craft an excellent story. The story should be developed to meet the following goals: enhance and expand public awareness of an issue facing the particular watershed or landscape; ignite public dialog; and encourage citizens to celebrate, experience, and protect the rivers of our country.
A successful applicant will be talented in storytelling in one or more media, will be familiar with the visions of Freeflow Institute and American Whitewater, and will submit a compelling pitch for an original creative project that is, at its essence, the product of the Freeflow experience.
Application deadline is 11:59 pm on April 15, 2019. Please submit completed application with all required items – hard copies or via a document delivery platform – to Freeflow Institute. Scholarship winner(s) will be announced no later than April 20, 2019.
APPLY FOR THE AMERICAN WHITEWATER SCHOLARSHIP
The 2019 American Whitewater Scholarship is open to any qualified applicant, from anywhere and any background, in any professional or academic field.
There is no limit to the number of candidates that can apply from one institution, organization, or community.
Your completed application packet should include:
- Contact information for TWO professional, outdoor industry, creative, or academic references
- Examples of outdoor creative / communication work, if available (If possible, please describe your goals in outdoor communication, and submit, as evidence of your intentions and capacity, links to or copies of written, photographic, filmed, or multimedia projects.)
- A one- to two-page written statement that addresses the points listed below
- OPTIONAL letters of recommendation from professional, outdoor industry, creative, or academic references
Please include the following personal information:
Place of birth Place of residence
Date of birth
Which 2019 Freeflow course are you applying for?
Expand upon the following points in a one- or two-page written statement.
- Describe your experience and / or what you hope to achieve in the field of outdoor / environmental communication.
- List your outdoor / environmental and volunteer experience, as well as relevant leadership.
- Describe your proposed project and how you’ll meet the objectives listed in the scholarship description. Please explain how your project will support the goals of American Whitewater, and how it helps to promote the ethics and priorities of Freeflow Institute.
- Provide a statement of financial need.
We can’t wait to read about your ideas and vision. Get in touch with any questions. We look forward to sharing the river with you this summer!